May 17, 2012 § Leave a comment
Making a crisp is a delicious way to cook with the rhubarb that is in season and plentiful at the grocery stores and markets. Buy a few stalks and chop them up and add them to your next apple crisp.
Cooking Time 60 minutes
Preheat oven to 375 F
4 cups (1 L) rhubarb cut into 1/4 inch pieces
5 medium apples cut into 1/2 inch pieces
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/8 cup (30 ml) water
1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
1 cup (250 ml) oats
1/2 cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 ml) chopped pecans
1/4 cup (65 ml) sugar
1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
1/2 cup (125 ml) vegan or regular butter
1. Combine the rhubarb, apples, lemon, water, 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
2. Combine the oats, flour, pecans, 1/4 cup sugar, salt and butter in another mixing bowl.
3. Transfer the rhubarb and apple mixture into a baking dish and top with the dry ingredients.
4. Bake in the oven until the apples are soft and the topping is crisp about 35-45 minutes.
5. Serve with vanilla ice cream if you dare.